Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Has Music Lost its Way?



I know we're almost halfway through the week, but as I reflect on the Billboard Music Award show. Curiosity settled into my brain. Although, the show was not bad, I wouldn’t say it was phenomenal either. While I observed each artist who performed that night: did music lose its passion or have the artists?

I want to be clear; I’m not saying these musical artists do not deserve to win an award. However, I feel that some of these singers have lost their way. Ever since 2005, the music industry went down the toilet. I mean, if you really consider how drastic the music industry has altered. You would probably agree with me or you would not. Either way, I cannot name top twenty-five memorable songs I can call a classic.

You’re wondering, “Where is she going with this?” You see, my parents were born in the '50s and learning from the music they grew up listening to has its privileges. While growing up in my parents’ household, especially in my teen years, my parents wanted my sisters and me to value music. At the time, we didn’t understand what they meant by “appreciating” music. Now reflecting on what they shared with me, I see what they mean. In order to adore music, you must study your musical history. You’ll learn what all the musical pioneers had to endure in order for artists like Rihanna, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Kesha, and many others to be on stage today.

Today’s music is more like jingles. Popcorn music (if you want to call it that). I’m befuddled when some of these musical stars, notice I didn’t say artists, sing or rap about things with little substance are calling it music. There’s a distinction between the two. Musical stars have made their way to Hollywood with hits your average listener would call catchy, on the other hand, they have made an impact in your life with songs you want to drown into while having a bad, week, or year.

Yes, you can go clubbing while dancing to your favorite song. The song’s intention is make you feel good while dancing with someone you think is hot. And that’s fine. On the flip side, I don’t know about many of you, but I love to hear songs you can relate to.

When Little Richard, Elvis Presley, the Jackson Five, the Beatles, and so on, came out, the intention of creating a musical movement is to take people’s minds off what happened during the time of racism and so many other events. These musical geniuses didn’t want people to be depressed. They wanted people to celebrate and yet they had given their fans an escapism to feel and be.

And still, people have their utmost respect for artists like Stevie Wonder, U2, and other musicians. You want to know why? They had and still have a great impact in musical history! And that’s awesome to inspire listeners in a profound way.

The '90s music, it didn’t matter what genre was out there, you could name twenty-five hits or better. Music had substance, and not to say that the majority of today’s music don’t, but very few recording artists can maintain true identity without losing fans. Only a small number can do that.
Michael Jackson, may he rest in peace, even though he was labeled King of Pop, but he had a message to deliver to the people, he had open doors for today‘s singers, and his purpose was served. And to this day, there is not one person on this planet who hadn’t had a memory of the late musical artist (except for newborn babies).

We seriously need a musical renaissance. At the rate music is going, I would hate to see what will happen in the next five years, if music will survive. Music can’t die because music is a universal language that speaks volumes to a person’s heart. 


If you’re having a lousy day, you can tune into artists like Alicia Keys, Mary J Blige, etc. These singers touch matters of the heart that listeners can relate to. Please know I’m not saying artists like Rihanna, Chris Brown, Kesha, Lady Gaga, and many others in this decade don’t have talent because they do.

It’s quite clear that Lady Gaga has her musical identity figured out; people are already drawn to her. I have to wonder though, some of these people who became superstars; why did they join the music industry in the first place?

Are some of these singers there to make history or do they want to be seen? I want to clarify this with you. People like Christina Aguilera, John Legend, Jill Scott, and so many others didn’t go into music because of fame. They actually have something to sing about. Fame is only icing on the cake because their gifts made room for them.

There’s nothing wrong with being current. It’s imperative to be informed of what’s going on, so you know where you’re going in the future. Nonetheless, have some valid reasons why being in the music industry means something to you, if you consider being a musician. Study your craft and hone it, find your identity, and embrace what others are afraid to say without having pessimistic pressure of what the media wants.

The reason of being an artist, whether you are a singer, actor, writer, photographer, and so forth, is standing out and expressing who you truly are, and you’re not easily intimidated by public opinion. An artist wants to give people something to talk about, think about and to be inspired in spite of what’s going on.

Music is an expression to the entire world and it shouldn’t go to waste based on top hits, but memorable hits you’ll be able to share with the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment